I may be in love with this watermelon feta salad.
Every once in a while, we create a recipe that makes us go WOW. This watermelon feta salad recipe is one of those WOW recipes for sure. An impressive part of this recipe is that it took only a few minutes to make it. This salad is a beautiful summer lunch or a fantastic side dish for a summer grill session.
If you don’t love feta cheese, you could substitute blue cheese or goat cheese. Either of these cheeses would be tasty on this salad. I would also recommend adjusting the amount of dijon mustard in the dressing based upon your tastes. I added a bit more in the testing than I originally intended. It just added a nice kick in flavor with the watermelon that I didn’t expect.
About the feta cheese: If you can, buy feta cheese chunks. It makes creating this recipe so much easier.
About the watermelon: It is essential that your watermelon is seedless. You don’t want anyone to wind up chewing on a seed.
- 1 small round seedless watermelon
- 3 oz. feta cheese
- 3 c. arugula
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 T. grapeseed oil
- 1 T honey
- 3 T fresh cilantro
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 large lime
- 2 t. sea salt
- ½ t. pepper
Note: Create the salad dressing in advance so that it can chill.
Create the salad dressing:
- Juice the lime.
- Wash and dry the cilantro.
- Roughly chop the cilantro.
- Combine all salad dressing ingredients in a glass bowl. Whisk until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Cover and chill in the fridge.
Create the salad:
- Prepare the watermelon: Cut the watermelon in half and scoop out the flesh into a large glass bowl. I used an ice cream scoop for this process. Once you have removed all of the watermelon flesh and have only the rind left, pour out any juices remaining. Use a paper towel and pat dry the inside of the watermelon rind. Set the watermelon halves aside for later use.
- Wash and dry the arugula.
- Dice the feta as needed.
- Add the arugula and feta to the glass bowl with the watermelon.
- Pour in the vinaigrette dressing into the bowl.
- Toss the ingredients to combine.
- Serve by pouring the salad mixture into the watermelon rinds.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh cilantro.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
There is a flaw with this salad and that is simply that a watermelon cut in half only creates two bowls. This is why I served the additional salads in a fun watermelon bowl. These bowls are fun and I was excited to finally have a great use case for them.
It is enjoyable when friends are taking pictures of the food that you cooked. This happened to me with this recipe. I later saw it all over their social media. This is definitely a visually pleasing recipe.