Hearty breakfast casserole This sausage potato casserole recipe is a perfect brunch food. It is easy to make and so deliciously cheesy.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ lb. bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large russet or Idaho potato, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 3 T. whole milk
- ¾ c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 T. fresh chives, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Prep the ingredients - Wash and dry the vegetables. Then dice the onion and potato. Shred the cheese as needed. Chop the chives.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the skillet is hot add the sausage. Cook it until it is browned. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the sausage into small pieces. It should cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the diced onion and diced potatoes to the skillet. Stir and cook until the onions are soft. Stir occasionally. It should cook for about 7 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking whisk together the eggs and milk in a medium-size bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. After these are mixed together thoroughly add in ½ cup of cheddar cheese and combine.
- Pour the sausage mixture from the skillet into the prepared baking dish. Spread it around so that it is evenly distributed. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the eggs and potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American