Stainless steel is many people’s favorite choice for cookware. Whether you are cooking a soup or frying a fish, a stainless steel cookware can make cooking delicious food easier.
Because of this versatility and many other advantages, many amateur cooks and professional chefs alike are on the hunt for the best stainless steel pots and pans.
In many kitchens, you can see so many stainless steel cookware – from utensils to pots and pans.
Stainless steel is one of the most long-lasting and safe materials used for cookware. It is a popular material for cookware because it is efficient in cooking and cost-effective.
These are just a few of the many reasons why stainless steel is a top choice for pots and pans for a lot of people. When you read through this article, you will be get to better and deeply understand why many people choose stainless steel for cookware.
How to Choose the Best Stainless Steel Pots and Pans
Not all stainless steel cookware is the same. There are certain characteristics that make one better than the other. Below is a list of guidelines in choosing the best stainless steel pots and pans:
1. Stainless Steel Pans: Construction and Features
A good stainless steel cookware is designed with safety and cooking efficiency in mind.
- Stainless steel pots and pans that are bonded with copper or aluminum (usually the base) improve the cookware’s ability to conduct heat.
- Stainless steel cookware with interiors that feature non-stick technology are great for preventing food from sticking to the surface of the pots and pans.
- It should come with a durable and heat resistant handles that provide a comfortable and secure grip. This is important to avoid unfortunate burn and scald accidents, and to prevent the pots and pans from slipping off your hands.
- When the stainless steel cookware comes with a lid, it is better if it has a hole where steam can easily pass through. This prevents spillages that result from boiling over.
2. Stainless Steel Pan Grades
The grade that is usually stamped at the bottom of stainless steel pots and pans indicates their quality, durability, maximum cooking temperature, and resistance to rust and corrosion.
The grades are divided into main series. Each grade is, then, represented by two number separated by “/.”
The first number refers to the amount percentage of chromium and the second number of nickel. The higher the amount of nickel, the more resistant to corrosion.
- 200 series: less resistant to rust and corrosion because they have manganese instead of nickel
- 300 series: most common grade and known to be very resistant to rust and corrosion
- 304: stamped with either 18/9 or 18/10
- 316: have some molybdenum or titanium in their allow that improves their resistance to saltwater corrosion
- 400 series: most corrosive among the three; usually labeled as 18/0; contains very little amount of nickel (around 0.75%)
3. Stainless Steel Pans Layers
Stainless steel is known to be a poor conductor of heat. To improve its ability to conduct heat, it is important to consider getting stainless steel pans that have layers of aluminum or copper sandwiched in between.
- Make sure that these layers are in between the sheets of stainless steel. When they are used as coatings, aluminum or copper may leach into your food.
- What is recognized as the best and most efficient in conducting heat, is the combination of (magnetic) steel and aluminum.
- It can give you the benefit of optimal and evenly distributed heat, and at the same time prevent leakage problems. It also allows you to use it on induction stoves, and also in dishwashers.
Cooking with Stainless Steel: 4 Tips on Using Stainless Steel Pots and Pans
1. How to avoid food from sticking to stainless steel cookware
The secret to preventing food from sticking is to preheat the pot or pan and to make sure that the food to be cooked is well defrosted. Steel contracts when it is in contact with cool temperatures.
Add oil only when the cookware is hot enough. By doing this, you are allowing the stainless steel to expand, which results to a nonstick surface.
2. How to lessen discoloration
Because of exposure to extremely high temperatures for a long period of time, some stainless steel cookware may have a rainbow-like color embedded on its surface.
To lessen this, do not overheat your pots and pans. To remove this rainbow-like discoloration, non-abrasive cleaners can be used.
A natural alternative to this is using vinegar or cooking highly acidic foods in the stainless steel cookware.
3. How to prevent pitting in the surface of the stainless steel cookware
Pitting, a form of rusting, may result from boiling salted water in stainless steel cookware. When formed, this may not anymore be removed.
However, it can be prevented by adding salt only when the water has already boiled.
4. How to remove white spots
These spots are usually a result of a buildup of calcium that may be present in water. To remove white spots on your stainless steel cookware, boil a solution of vinegar and water (1:30 ratio).
After boiling, let it cool, and then wash and dry the pot or pan.
Reviews of the Top 5 Stainless Steel Pots and Pans
**Below, you will find more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer reviews on Amazon.
1. Duxtop Professional Stainless Steel Cookware Set
The Duxtop stainless steel cookware set includes a variety of pots and pans that are versatile in cooking almost any kind of cooking or cuisine.
It is constructed with 18/10 commercial grade stainless steel, which means that it is highly resistant to corrosion and rusting.
The bottom of the pots and pans feature an impact-bonded aluminum, which makes them a durable choice of cookware. The impact bonding provides the pots and pans with a secure attachment of the disc to the base.
Impact bonding provides the cookware with a complete, secure attachment of the cooking disc to the base of the pot or pan, allowing it to last for a long time.
Duxtop pots and pans in this set feature a riveted and anti-slip stainless steel handle that ensures comfort and safety when handling the cookware. They can be stored in the freezer, heated in the oven to 550 °F, and cleaned in the dishwasher.
These stainless steel cookware are also suitable for any kind of stovetop – electric, gas, induction, infrared, ceramic, or glass.
Set includes: 1.6-quart saucepan with lid, 2.5-quart saucepan with lid, 4.2-quart casserole with lid, 8.6-quart stock pot with lid, 8-inch fry pan, 10-inch fry pan, 5.5-quart sauce pan with lid, boiler basket, steam basket, 3-piece kitchen tools
- A wide variety of pots and pans that can be used for almost all kinds of cooking techniques
- Food does not stick most of the time
- Insides reported to discolor
- Handles and lids may get hot
2. Chef’s Star Professional Grade Stainless Steel Pots & Pans Set
The Chef’s Star Professional Grade Stainless Steel claims to be efficiently functional. Its bottom is made of impact-bonded aluminum, and this allows faster heat transfer and makes the cookware heat up quickly.
In addition, the stainless steel allows the heat to be distributed evenly throughout the surface of the pots and pans.
The handles of the Chef’s Star pots and pans are riveted and designed with satin finish, to ensure that the grip is secure and comfortable. This set of pots and pans also claims to be durable.
It is made of 18/8 stainless steel, which means that it is made up of 18% chromium and 8% nickel. This property of stainless steel protects the pots and pans from corrosion and oxidation.
The pots and pans of this Chef’s Star set are freezer-safe, and oven safe to at most 550 °F. It can also be used for all kinds of cooktops, may it be electric, induction, infrared, or glass.
8-inch frying Pan, 10-inch frying pan, 1.6-quart saucepan with lids, 2.5-quart saucepan with lids, 4.2-quart casserole pan with lid
8.6-quart stock pot with lid, 5.5-quart sauté pan with helper and lid, boiler basket, steamer basket, spoon, slotted spatula, and 2-prong fork
- Just the right weight — neither too heavy nor too light
- Compatible with any kind of stovetop
- Food may stick
- Handles get hot
3. Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel Cookware Set
The Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel Cookware boasts that it can offer strength, efficiency, and safety.
The exteriors of the pots and pans are made of 18/10 stainless steel, whereas 18 refers to the amount of chromium present and 10 of nickel.
The relatively high content of nickel makes the stainless steel pots and pans more resistant to corrosion.
It features a heat surround technology which uses aluminum for the core base and the side walls. This feature promotes quick and even heating.
The interiors of this Cuisinart stainless steel cookware set are mirror-polished to prevent food from sticking to the surface.
The rims of the pots and pans are also tapered, so that you will no longer have to worry about drips when pouring your cooked food.
This set of stainless steel pots and pans claims to be safe. The handles are made of cast stainless steel to keep them cool while on the stovetop. This also prevents the occurrence of accidental burns.
It is also safe to use in the oven (up to 550 °F), in the broiled, and in the dishwasher. It can also be suitable to use on induction stovetops.
Set includes: 1.5-quart and 3-quart saucepans with lids, 8-quart stockpot with lid, and 10-inch skillet
- Very sturdy
- Comfortable and safe handle
- May need to buy polish to maintain its shine
- Food may stick
4. T-fal Ultimate Stainless Steel Cookware Set
T-fal Ultimate Stainless Steel Cookware set claims their ability for long-lasting and quality performance. It is majorly constructed using 18/10 stainless steel for durability and resistance to oxidation and corrosion.
It features a thick-gauge aluminum core and copper bottom, for more efficient and even heat conduction and distribution. This prevents having hot spots on your food.
The set of this T-fal stainless steel cookware includes a variety of pots and pans that can be great for cooking different meals.
Some pots and pans come with a glass lid that lets you to observe and check what you are cooking, without having to open the cookware once in awhile.
Lids also have vented holes that allows steam to escape and to prevent spilling from boiling over.
The pots and pans in this stainless steel cookware set are oven-safe to at most 500 °F. There may also be no need to worry about cleaning, because the cookware are dishwasher-safe. They are also safe to use with all stovetops, including induction.
Set includes: 8 and 10.25-inch fry pans, 12-inch fry pan with lid, 1, 2 and 3-quart saucepan with lids, 5-quart stewpot with lid, steamer
- Includes a variety of cookware that can be used for cooking different cuisines
- Aluminum core and copper bottom
- Handles may get hot and cause burns
- Food may stick and these is hard to clean
5. Cook N Home Stainless Steel Cookware Set
Cook N Home boasts its stainless steel cookware set to be beautiful both inside and out. It is made of premium grade 18/10 stainless steel mirror polished.
This makes the cookware durable and, at the same time, give it a shiny and elegant appearance.
It also makes use of the impact bonding technology, which securely attaches the aluminum disc at the bottom. This allows even heat distribution throughout the surface of the pots and pans.
The pots and pans of this Cook N Home set have handles that are wrapped with silicon. This gives a contoured anti-slip grip, for comfort and security when handling the cookware.
Some cookware that comes with glass lids that makes monitoring the cooking process easy from beginning to end. The pots and pans work on different kinds of stovetop, such as gas, induction, glass, and more.
Set includes: 1- and 2-quart saucepans with lids, 3-quart casserole pan with lid, 5-quart stockpot with lid, and a 10-inch fry pan with lid
- Glass lid for better viewing of what is cooking
- Stay-cool handle
- Food sticks
- Steam and small liquids escape through the edges
The Best Stainless Steel Pots and Pans
Making a delish dish do not just depend on the freshness of the ingredients and the skill of the cook. The quality of cookware being used, also predicts the success of making a delectable meal.
Among the top 5 reviewed cookware sets, the Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel Cookware Set takes home the prize of being the best stainless steel pots and pans.
It may be a bit more pricy than the other cookware sets reviewed, but is more cost-effective because of its advantages that greatly outweigh its cost.
It is made of high-quality stainless steel that makes it less prone to corrosion, which means that it can last for a long period of time. It boasts security features, that prevents possible unfortunate burns. Additionally, it delivers efficiency in cooking.
Because of its aluminum core base and side walls, heat is quickly and evenly distributed.
Overall, the Cuisinart Stainless Steel Cookware Set offers a wide variety of pots and pans, that claims to offer durability, safety, and efficiency in cooking.
If you found this post helpful in any way, we would appreciate if you share this post to your friends. We would also be more than happy to hear your thoughts, comments, and experiences. You may leave us a comment below.